When you experience water damage caused by a flood in your home, you need to clean the damage up quickly to reduce the chance of mold taking hold. You need to understand the symptoms of black mold exposure and what you can do to limit the risk of being exposed to black mold.
What Is Black Mold?
There are numerous varieties of mold that can take hold in your home following water damage. Many of these types of mold are relatively harmless from a health perspective, even if they are damaging to your home. The one type of mold that you really need to look out for is black mold, which is not only damaging to your home, but is damaging to your health as well.
Black mold is formally known as stachybotrys chartarum, and is a toxic type of mold that thrives in materials such as drywall, upholstery, carpet, and subflooring. As the mold grows, it can release spores into the air that you can breathe in. These spores can impact your breathing and result in watery eyes and sore throats. Black mold can also cause rashes, chronic fatigue, and has even be linked to pneumonia. These may sound like small health issues, but when you can't get away from what is making you sick, black mold can have a real negative impact on your life.
Black mold can develop after water damage if you don't clean up your home properly.
How to Reduce Your Risk of Exposure to Black Mold
The best way to keep black mold from developing in your home is by properly cleaning up your home after you experience water damage. That means pulling out and removing the drywall that was impacted by the water damage. That means removing the subflooring and carpet that was impacted by the water damage. You need to remove all porous surfaces from your home that were impacted by the water damage to reduce the chance of black mold cropping up in your home after the water damage occurs.
You also need to reduce the moisture in the air as well. One of the best ways to do this is with a dehumidifier and with a system of fans to get all the moisture out of your home after the water has receded.
Black mold is a toxic type of mold that can develop after water damage, especially the type of extensive water damage caused by a flood, as black mold spores float around in the air. You need to get rid of all the moisture as quickly as possible so that you can reduce the risk of black mold growing in the first place.
Contact flood damage services for more information.